Friday, May 11, 2012

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

As I mentioned last week, there's really only two meals I'm semi-responsible for putting on the table. The first being Spaghetti Sauce, and the other are these Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas.

We served these with fresh tomatoes and cilantro. And a Corona Light
because it was Cinco de Mayo and we're cliche like that.
I've been eating them for years, as this is another recipe that's been passed down to me from my mom. I again have no idea where they came from, although for some reason I feel like I've seen it in one of my cookbooks. Taste of Oregon rings a bell.

Regardless of where it originated, these enchiladas are delicious. In fact, because of these bad boys I no longer have a desire to ever eat the standard red-sauce variety ever again. It's not that the standard version is bad per say...these are just that good.

These do take a bit of time to make, so I recommend assembling them the night before if it's a week night.

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
An All Meat and No Potatoes original

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts
1 cup sour cream
1 can of cream of chicken and mushroom soup
1 can of diced green chilies
1 1/5 cups of Mexican blend cheese
9 soft taco size tortillas
2 jalapenos (optional)
1/2 medium onion (optional)
5 mushrooms (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium sized pot, boil the chicken until cooked thoroughly. Shred into small pieces and set aside.
While the chicken is cooking, saute jalapenos, onion, mushrooms or whatever veggies you like. Once cooked, set aside to let cool.
Meanwhile, combine sour cream, soup and green chilis. Add the vegetable mixture once cooled. Set aside approximately 1 cup of the sauce mixture. In the larger portion of sauce, add the chicken. Often times I don't quite use the full amount of chicken so use your judgement here.
In a tortilla shell take one or two spoonfuls of the chicken mixture and sprinkle with a pinch of cheese before rolling it up. Place in a 9 x 13 pan and repeat until you run out of the chicken mixture. This seems to be about 8 or 9 tortillas.
Once all the tortillas are in the pan, cover with the remaining cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment