Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cauliflower crust pizza

I wish I had some great excuse for my lack of recent blogging, or a profound recipe to share with you as an apology. Unfortunately I have neither. What I do have to share though is another low-carb cliche recipe: Cauliflower Crust Pizza.

Quite possibly the best pizza topping combination: pepperoni, shredded linguica, onions, pepperoncini's and pineapple. Plus olives for the husband's portion.


If you've been eating this lifestyle for a while you've either tried it (and probably loved it) or avoided it out of fear. Honestly, I avoided it out of fear for over a year. I tried various options, including low-carb but overly processed flatbreads and crust made from alternative flours. I thought surely those would all be a better solution to my pizza cravings than a cauliflower crust. I was wrong. I'm not sure what clicked in my head to finally venture into the cauliflower world, but I'm so glad I did. 

You may or may not taste something "different" in this crust, but there's no definitive cauliflower taste. Hands down it's the best substitute I've found to cure those pizza cravings. The potential off taste is easily masked by the tomato sauce, cheese and your toppings of choice. The only real downsides are that it's hard to photograph and that it's difficult to eat without a fork. Who cares, right? Not me, that's for sure. I can almost guarantee you won't care either.

Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Adapted from Recipe Girl
Serves 2

Ingredients
2 cups shredded cauliflower
1 large egg
1 cup cheese (preferably a combination of mozzarella, parmesan and cheddar)
1/2 t basil
1/2 t oregano
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
Pizza toppings of your choice

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Take a head of cauliflower and shred until you have 2 cups worth. It won't take a full head, so plan on using the extra for another meal or make extra crust. We use a cheese grater for this step.
Spread out cauliflower on to cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is just starting to brown. Remove from oven and let it sit for a few minutes to cool.
Place the cauliflower into a mixing bowl and combine with egg, cheese and seasonings. 
Place cauliflower mixture on to a fresh piece of parchment paper, spreading it as thin as you can without creating holes in the crust. Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until it starts to develop a golden brown color throughout.
Remove crust from the oven and set the oven to broil. Apply pizza toppings and place back in oven for approximately five minutes, or until cheese topping is fully melted. Careful, the edges of the crust can easily burn at this stage.
Enjoy!

Nutrition facts per serving (crust only):
266 Calories; 17g Fat; 8g Carbohydrates; 3g Fiber; 21g Protein

0 comments:

Post a Comment